After your wisdom tooth extraction, your oral surgeon will give you plenty of wisdom tooth extraction aftercare instructions. You’ll know how much medicine to take and not to drink through a straw. You will not be so confident about what will be comfortable to eat, though. We’ve gathered more of the best recipes to try while recovering from wisdom tooth extraction surgery.
Recipes for Post-Wisdom Tooth Extraction
For the first couple of days, smoothies, milkshakes, and applesauce will be your best bet for painless eating.
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1 mango
- 2 cups spinach
- ⅓ cucumber
- ½ lime
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup ice
Blend the ingredients and drink up! (No straws allowed!)
Twice Baked Cheese and Bacon Mashed Potato Casserole
Casseroles are great if you only expect to have limited help after your wisdom tooth extraction surgery. You can make a casserole before your appointment and easily reheat it during your recovery.
- 3 lbs Russet potatoes quartered
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 6 oz mascarpone or cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1-8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan filled halfway with salted water
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes
- Mash the potatoes
- Add mascarpone or cream cheese, butter, and cream
- Beat until blended
- Season with salt and pepper
- Stir in the bacon, cheddar, and Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350ºF
- Transfer mashed potatoes to a 2qt casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheeses.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through
Tomato soup is perfect for your recovery. If you’re feeling up to some mild chewing, make a grilled cheese to dip in the soup. If not, the soup can be a full meal on its own!
- 4 slices of bacon (cut into small pieces)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- Half of a yellow onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes
- Fry the bacon in a large soup pot over medium heat until bacon becomes crispy
- Add carrots, onion, and garlic to the bacon in the pan.
- Saute for 5-10 minutes
- Add tomato paste
- Add flour
- Pour tomatoes and juice into a bowl and crush them
- Add the broth, thyme, and tomatoes to the soup pot
- Simmer for 30 minutes
- Puree in batches and return to the pot
Schedule your wisdom tooth extraction today!
If you’re experiencing symptoms of impacted or troublesome wisdom teeth, it’s time to make an appointment at Nevada Oral and Facial Surgery. Allow us to explain the methods we use to make your wisdom tooth extraction surgery and recovery as smooth as possible.